No, we as Creatives we don’t believe in “rules”. But boundaries and standards keep up in place and in check and quite frankly, we need them. Let’s set the tone for the #blkcreatives army in the New Year.
10. Stay in your lane. Want to stay focused, flourish, and receive what’s meant for you? Operating within your own mission, with what YOU were called to do instead of worrying about someone else will save you an unbelievable amount of energy.
9. Put yourself on. Instead of waiting for someone else to recognize you, create your own platform. It’s very easy and very possible and it only makes you stronger in the long run. Give it a shot. This tweet by Julian is an excellent reminder.
8. Believe in your talent. You were given your unique perspective for a specific reason. Utilize it. Who else will believe if you don’t?
7. Take a step every single day. No matter how big or how small, commit to doing SOMETHING every day. The magic is where the action lies. As Sakita says, “Done is better than perfect.” Our friends over at Startup Noire have already started doing this.
6. Become your biggest fan. Outside validation is cool but support starts from within. See rule number eight.
5. Don’t allow yourself to get caught up in fuckery, of any kind. Most of the time it’s a distraction. The time you spend dealing with drama, you can be dealing with blog posts, new invoices, new people to expand your circle, a new recipe, a new book, a new glass of water – you get the picture. (plus, hydration is important!)
4. Keep challenging yourself. Set the bar higher each time not only to improve but to also grow. Those two things usually go hand in hand. No matter what level you’re at, there’s always something to conquer.
3. Support each other as much as possible. There’s room for everyone to win – never forget. That’s really what this entire brand is about. There’s power in community, especially the #blkcreatives army. Trish is proof of that.
2. Allow your work to speak for you. Bragging isn’t necessary if you focus on your craft. You’ll attract the right people, the right opportunities, and the right doors will open at the right time. You just have to trust it. Again, see rule number eight.
- Do the (inner) work first. It’s possible to achieve the life you want, it just starts from within. If you’re not sure what doing the inner work means, come back and we’ll explain next week.